Thomas & I have a new friend, Denae, who posted the Proust Questionnaire on her blog. Apparently it’s at the end of every Vanity Fair magazine … which I would know if I actually read the subscription I had for the last year. I only ordered it for the awesome poster that is now on my home office wall! Anyway, different stars and artists will answer the questions for each issue. Denae thought it would be an interesting exercise and I’m more than willing to exercise if it doesn’t include physical exertion!
To my six friends: copy the questions and answers to your blog or Facebook page. If you do, post a comment and we can learn more about you! (Some of the preceding text was blatantly stolen borrowed from Denae’s blog)
“The Proust Questionnaire has its origins in a parlour game popularized (though not devised) by Marcel Proust, the French essayist and novelist, who believed that, in answering these questions, an individual reveals his or her true nature. Here is the basic Proust Questionnaire.”
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Somewhere quiet and warm … it doesn’t really matter where. Oh, and with Thomas, maybe the kids.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Dying without anyone knowing.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My inability to lose weight. Is that a trait?
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Unkindness towards others.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Art supplies, especially since I rarely use them.
7. What is your current state of mind?
I am dual- minded at the moment. I am thinking about work (because I am at work … yeah, yeah, yeah, I’m taking a break) but also thinking about Thomas’ and my business.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. On what occasion do you lie?
If I have to, to spare someone’s feelings but it’s not usually a ‘lie’ it’s more of a redirection. We lie about Santa to the kids.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
11. Which living person do you most despise?
Wow, despise is a harsh word. I’m not overly fond of GWB or the people on Fox News.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Spriritualness (That’s not really a word)
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Genuineness (is that a word?)
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My husband, Thomas.
16. When and where were you happiest?
I have had a lot of ‘happy’ moments but to pick the ‘est’ one … naturally my mind goes to the day Thomas & I got married. I’ll stick with that one.
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
The ability to really remember what I read. Seriously, I can re-read books because I never remember the endings!
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would be thinner.
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Getting my degree at the age of 41 and my two children.
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
Oh, I’d love to be a loved house cat with a warm place to curl up.
21. Where would you most like to live?
Near a moving body of water … the ocean or a river, but not a lake or pond.
22. What is your most treasured possession?
My backup hard drive for my computer. (my husband and kids aren’t possessions)
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Loss of hope and/or faith.
24. What is your favorite occupation?
I think teachers are amazing, not that I have the patience to be one. There are reasons I am an accountant!
25. What is your most marked characteristic?
I am direct. There are other adjectives you can add but that is the most … um … direct one.
26. What do you most value in your friends?
The willingness to put up with my most marked characteristics!
27. Who are your favorite writers?
Harry Harrison, Robert Heinlein, Lillian Jackson Braun, James Clavell
28. Who is your hero of fiction?
Wonder Woman! I wanted to be her (or maybe Linda Carter) when I was 12!
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
30. Who are your heroes in real life?
31. What are your favorite names?
Samantha, Sarah, Elizabeth, Christopher, Victoria
32. What is it that you most dislike?
People who suck.
33. What is your greatest regret?
This is hard because everything that has happened in my life brought me to today.
34. How would you like to die?
Quietly without being a burden.
35. What is your motto?
This too shall pass. Whether good or bad things continually change so enjoy the good and know that the bad will subside.